Nestled in the lush mountains of Panama, Boquete is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered by travelers seeking adventure, nature, and relaxation. Known for its cool climate, stunning landscapes, and friendly locals, Boquete is the perfect destination for those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of city life.
This Boquete Panama Travel Guide will give you an overview of everything you need to know before planning your trip, including the best time to visit, the top things to do, where to stay, and how to get around.
Best Time to Visit Boquete:
The best time to visit Boquete is during the dry season, which runs from December to April. This is the perfect time for outdoor activities like hiking, birdwatching, and exploring the coffee farms. The rainy season, from May to November, can still be a great time to visit as the landscape becomes lush and green, but you’ll need to be prepared for rain.
Getting to Boquete:
The easiest way to get to Boquete is by flying into David City and then taking a 40-minute taxi or bus ride to Boquete. Alternatively, you can take a bus from Panama City to David and then transfer to a bus to Boquete.
Things to Do in Boquete:
- Hike to the summit of Volcán Barú: This is the highest peak in Panama, and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape. It’s a challenging hike that takes around 6-8 hours, but it’s worth it.
- Take a coffee tour: Boquete is known for its coffee, and there are several coffee farms in the area that offer tours. You can learn about the coffee-making process and sample some of the local brew.
- Go birdwatching: Boquete is home to over 250 species of birds, including the famous Quetzal. You can take a guided birdwatching tour to spot some of these colorful feathered creatures.
- Soak in the hot springs: There are several hot springs in the area, such as Caldera Hot Springs and Los Pozos de Caldera, where you can relax and soak in the warm waters.
- Visit the Mi Jardín es Su Jardín: This is a beautiful garden that is open to the public, with a wide variety of plants and flowers. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy nature.
- Go river rafting: Boquete is home to several rivers that offer great rafting opportunities, such as the Chiriquí Viejo River and the Caldera River.
- Explore the Los Cangilones de Gualaca: These are natural rock formations that have been eroded by the river over time, creating beautiful pools and waterfalls.
- Visit the Bajo Mono Loop Trail: This is a beautiful hiking trail that takes you through a cloud forest, with stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- Take a horseback riding tour: There are several tour operators that offer horseback riding tours, allowing you to explore the countryside in a unique way.
- Enjoy the local cuisine: Boquete has a wide variety of restaurants and cafes, offering everything from traditional Panamanian cuisine to international dishes. Be sure to try some of the local specialties, such as sancocho or ceviche or a fresh trout from Bambito.
- Explore the town’s local markets and shops
- Attend the annual Flower and Coffee Fair in January
- Attend the Boquete Blues and Jazz festival! this year it will be held March 17th – 19th, 2023.
Where to Stay in Boquete:
Here are some hotels in Boquete, Panama that you might consider:
- The Riverside Inn: This charming hotel is located on the banks of the Caldera River, offering beautiful views and a peaceful setting. The rooms are comfortable and well-appointed, with amenities such as free Wi-Fi, cable TV, and air conditioning. The hotel also has a restaurant and bar, as well as a swimming pool and hot tub.
- The Haven and Spa: This hotel is situated in a beautiful natural setting, with stunning views of the mountains and valleys. The rooms are spacious and luxurious, with amenities such as free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and private balconies. The hotel also has a spa, offering a range of treatments and services.
- Hotel Ladera: This eco-friendly hotel is located in the heart of Boquete, within walking distance of many restaurants and attractions. The rooms are bright and colorful, with amenities such as free Wi-Fi, cable TV, and private bathrooms. The hotel also has a restaurant and bar, as well as a beautiful garden and terrace.
- Finca Lerida: This historic coffee plantation has been converted into a beautiful hotel, with spacious rooms and stunning views of the surrounding landscape. The rooms are well-appointed, with amenities such as free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and private balconies. The hotel also has a restaurant and bar, as well as a coffee shop and gift shop.
- Valle Escondido Resort, Golf & Spa: This luxurious resort is located in a beautiful valley, surrounded by lush greenery and stunning views. The rooms are spacious and elegant, with amenities such as free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and private balconies. The resort also has a spa, golf course, swimming pools, and several restaurants and bars.
Q: Is Boquete safe for tourists?
A: Yes, Boquete is generally a safe destination for tourists. However, like any other place, it’s always best to take precautions and be aware of your surroundings.
Q: Can I visit Boquete on a day trip from Panama City?
A: One day is not enough to visit Boquete from Panama City, we recommend staying at least 2-3 days to fully experience all the town has to offer.
Q: Can I go and hike in the rain forest or up the Volcano by myself?
A: I would highly recommend you hire a local guide, there where many tourist that got lost in the rain forest as not all trails are clrealy market. Also the guide knows the good spots for birdwatching or viewpoint you wont miss. So better safe the sorry!!
Boquete, Panama, is a destination that should not be missed by travelers seeking natural beauty and adventure. With its stunning landscapes, welcoming locals, and endless outdoor activities, Boquete is a hidden gem in Central America. Use this Boquete Panama Travel Guide to plan your trip and experience all that this charming town has to offer.
Here we add a google map from the town of Boquete:
Please bookmark us now press ctrl+d and visit again soon for more fascinating travel destinations in Panama!